Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tomatoes Creole

I just tried this recipe, out of the 'Joy of Cooking' book, tonight. We thought it was great, and it was very easy, too. It is kind of a thick, creamy vegetable side. (JoC says you can serve it 'on toast with sauteed bacon,' but we just ate it 'with forks.')

Melt 2 tbsp butter in a saucepan.

Add:
1 1/2 cup canned peeled tomatoes (drain all the excess before measuring these)
1 large minced onion
2 stalks celery, minced

Cook about 12 minutes, then add:
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp curry powder
2 1/2 tsp brown sugar

Mix, then strain the juice from the vegetables into a large pyrex measuring cup. I had about 1 cup juice, then added 1/2 cup (light) cream to the liquid, to make 1 1/2 cups liquid total. Whisk in 2 tbsp flour.

Simmer the sauce, stirring until it thickens, then add in the vegetables. DONE.

Very tasty, and easy. You could probably add some more spices if wanted, the creamy sauce makes it very mild. DONE.

1 comment:

  1. As I wondered who posted this, I saw the label "human blood" and wondered no more! I think I made this years ago... same cookbook of course. It is good.

    ReplyDelete