Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Vegan Sloppy Joes!





Tomato Sauce:
4 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
2 medium or large tomatoes chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp pepper
Mix in blender or processor and set aside.
Joes:
1 cup boiling water
1 and 1/2 cups textured vegetable protein (I used 12 oz of Smart Ground)
1 medium onion chopped
1 tbsp oil
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 large pickle, chopped (I used pickle relish)
2 tbsp Braggs or soy sauce (I used soy sauce)
1 and 1/2 tsp chili powder
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of allspice (I used a tiny bit of nutmeg, didn't have allspice)
dash of salt
(I tasted at the end and went much heavier on the chili powder and a little more cayenne)
In a medium bowl, pour the boiling water over the TVP and set aside for 10-15 minutes. In a medium sauce pan, saute the onions in oil on medium high heat until translucent. Lower heat to medium and add all but the TVP and including the set aside tomato sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes, add the TVP and simmer on medium low heat for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve over toasted buns.




No comments:

Post a Comment