Sunday, November 8, 2009

Vegan Sausages a la Aunt Mary Ann


Ok, I am the person who laughs at vegetarians eating imitation meat... until now... I do miss sausage... and these are very tasty and when they sit for a few minutes after cooking, the full flavor comes out. They are nice and spicy. You can freeze leftovers.

Aunt Mary Ann's recipe:

• 1 cup TVP
• 1 cup boiling Water
• 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
• 1/2 cup Flax Seed Meal ( I whiz it in the processor)
• 1/2 cup Oat or Wheat Bran
• 4 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
• 2 tsp Garlic Powder
• 1 tsp crushed Sage
• 1 tsp ground Fennel
• 1 tsp Hot Pepper Flakes
• 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
• 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
• 1/2 cup Water
• 1 tsp Liquid Smoke
• 6 Tbsp Soy Sauce
• 4 tsp Maple Syrup or Agave Nectar (you could probably use honey)
• 1/2 tsp Blackstrap molasses
• oil for frying

Stir together TVP and boiling water and set aside to soak for 5 minutes

Meanwhile mix flour, flax, bran, and dry spices. Stir to incorporate. Stir in TVP. In a measuring cup measure out water, liquid smoke and stir, add all the other liquid into the measuring cup also. Then add to the dry ingredients and mix well. I let this set for about 1/2 hour. I thought it helped set it up. (Mom's comment: I only let it set up 10 minutes and it was still a little soft so I think it's best to give it the half hour)

With your hands, form mixture into 2 “ balls and flatten into patties. I measure 1/4 cup of mixture and laid it out on wax paper. A little water or oil on the hands helped to form the balls. I got 13 balls, and flattened them to about 3” diameter…but you can judge what size you would like. (Mom's comment: Maybe use scant 1/4 cups,  mine only made 11.5 balls.. I also shaped mine with a little whole wheat flour instead of water or oil)

Fry in some oil in uncovered frying pan on medium heat. About 2 minutes on each side or until golden in color. I cooled mine and then wrapped each and froze them.



No comments:

Post a Comment