
This one is for Aunt Linda who asked about it. This is the people version so use larger eggplant than the one pictured.
Eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch sections
Italian style bread crumbs (2 cups or more depending on size of eggplant)
salt, pepper, paprika
Grated parmesan cheese (1/2 cup or more and an additional cup or more for topping later)
One or two eggs
Olive oil
Sauce (I like to use homemade, will post recipe)
• Sprinkle eggplant with a little salt and let sit for a few minutes and then pat dry with paper towels, this will help remove some of the water content
• Heat 1/4 inch of olive oil in large fry pan
• Mix 2 cups bread crumbs with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and salt, pepper and paprika
• Beat egg(s) with a couple of tablespoons of water
• Dip slices into egg and then into bread crumb mixture, fry until golden on both sides
• In a large pan, I use a 9 x 12 pyrex baking pan, put a thin layer of sauce, layer eggplant overlapping a little to fit all, put a thin lay of sauce on top, cover in foil and bake about 15 minutes, remove foil and add a layer of grated parmesan or a mixture of parmesan and motzarella and bake an additional five minutes until cheese melts. Serve with pasta and more sauce.
(You can make the fried eggplant the day before and store in refrigerator. The next day, assemble and layer with sauce and proceed but cooking time should be 30 to 45 minutes.)
FOR THE MEAT EATERS: Slice one or more pounds of boneless chicken breast into 1/4 inch thick slices on the diagonal and proceed in the same way for dipping and frying. I like to use the Chefs Cut from Shaws so I wait for a sale. If you cook the chicken the day before and refrigerate, it may take a little longer than the eggplant to reheat.
Ha! I like that man up there, reminds me of Joey for some reason. Keri-Ann has started making this recipe, and she thinks it comes out better than mom's.
ReplyDeletedo NOT tell lies! this is a whole family of blog trolls!
ReplyDeleteWell, that's the whole idea. Pass the recipes along. I know Nick is looking for trouble but I am overjoyed to know that since I will be pushing up daisies before too long that others have mastered my fine recipes. Kudos to Keri-Ann!
ReplyDeletePlease don't insult my brother, Keri-Ann.
ReplyDelete